38.173990138382 - 20.490084663033

Title

Bell Tower and Square

The “Bell Tower” is estimated to be constructed around 1790 and its height at that time was at least three floors above all the buildings of the town. Due to the bell of the tower and its characteristic sound, the tower and the whole square were eventually named after it and are up till now called “Bell Square and Bell Tower” (Kabana Square and Tower). In 1857, repair activities were carried out for the Bell of the Tower to be heightened about three meters and so that a new mechanism of last technology from London could be placed on it. A specialized tuner was responsible for its faultless functioning and after the Union of Ionian Islands with Greece, this responsibility was transferred to specific employees of the municipality. Built-in on the central door of the Tower is the emblem of monks of the Order of Saint Francis of Assisi which is considered the medieval emblem of Kefalonia. The Bell Tower hosted commercial businesses, public services and state offices till 1953 when the edifice was severely damaged by earthquakes. In 1985, the tower −with its bell that had survived− started to operate again. Since 2000, there is a traditional coffee shop on the ground floor of the Bell Tower, where everyone can enjoy a cup of coffee admiring pictures relevant to the history of the tower, the history of Kefalonia.