The church of Saint Nicholas Megalomatis (the Large-Eyed) lies on the east side of mountain Skopos, on the right side of the uphill dirt road that leads to the church of Panagia Skopiotissa. Because of the panoramic view it gives, this location is of strategic importance and the church is protected against northerly winds. Documents from the Venetian rule period prove that in 1513, the church was ceded to the monastery of Strofades. The ruins of the complex are ordered from SW to NE. Two entrances are visible. During the Venetian rule, the church, which is a two-aisled basilica, was divided into two parts that were interconnected. In Byzantine times, the church complied with the two-column, cross-in-square type, probably with an octagonal dome, narthex, and porch. The church combines elements datingfrom three construction phases at the end of the 10th, 11th, and 12th centuries when the island experienced conflicts with the Arabs and the Normans. Saint Nicholas church is a typical example of Byzantine architecture in Zakynthos.